Vice President, Health Safety & Environment
Arkema has 19,000 employees based in 50 countries, with 137 industrial plants and 13 research centers. As a chemical company, safety has always been a priority at Arkema. However, following several major acquisitions, the company found itself in a unique position: as people joined the company via mergers and acquisitions, they often brought along their previous company’s views on safety protocols and procedures. The company felt it was critical to have one point of view, one strategy that transcended all continents, cultures, and language barriers. Without it they felt they would never achieve a position as one of the best-performing companies in the chemical industry in terms of safety performance. But how? Paul Leonard will share Arkema’s journey to safety excellence and will share where they were, where they are today and where they are going as they focus on becoming one of the safest chemical companies in the world.
• Shifting ownership of safety from just leaders and managers to everyone in the organisation
• Arkema’s Strategic Learning Map® “Arkema Safety Academy: Our Safety Culture”
• The development of the Learning Map
• The deployment: training 14,000 people in 40 different countries and 10 different languages in a 12-month time period
• The impact on the business
• Building a sense of trust amongst employees: How the Learning Map unified employees and became the foundation for Arkema’s culture
• What’s next?